WhatsApp is one of the most popular messaging apps, with more than 2 billion active monthly users. It’s also the third-most used social networking site in the world and has become an integral part of many people’s daily lives.
But sometimes, things can go wrong with WhatsApp, whether it’s an issue with your phone or an issue with the app itself. If you’re dealing with a problem on WhatsApp, here are some things you can check out before reaching out to customer support:
You may also check out our articles on how to Fix WhatsApp Calls not Working or WhatsApp Calls not Ringing. This article on how to fix WhatsApp Status not uploading is also worth checking out if you want to troubleshoot issues relating to WhatsApp.
Types of WhatsApp Calls not Showing Up Issues
The issue of WhatsApp calls not showing up or displaying comes in various shapes and forms. Here are the commonest ones some users have reported:
- WhatsApp calls are not showing up on the screen.
- WhatsApp calls are not showing on the lock screen or call log.
- WhatsApp calls not showing on android, iPhone, Apple Watch or Galaxy watch.
- WhatsApp calls not displaying or showing unavailable.
Why is my WhatsApp call not showing? Here are the reasons Why you Can’t See WhatsApp calls
A lot of reasons could account for why your WhatsApp calls are not showing up or displaying. Here are some known reasons that could cause your WhatsApp calls to be seemingly hidden:
- You have a weak internet connection or your network connection is not strong enough to make WhatsApp calls.
- WhatsApp’s servers may be down.
- You have not granted WhatsApp enough permissions to make calls.
- You are not using the latest version of WhatsApp.
- Cached files and data in the WhatsApp app are lagging and interfering with the normal functioning of the app.
- Your battery saver mode is currently on.
- Your phone’s background data usage is turned off.
- You’ve enabled “Use less data for calls” on WhatsApp.
- The WhatsApp app may have some glitches due to bugs.
Best Ways to Fix WhatsApp Calls not Showing Up or Displaying
Check your network connection
If you can’t make calls, check your network connection. If you’re using WhatsApp on Wi-Fi and the internet is working, but you still can’t make calls, restart your phone.
Test your internet connection and improve it. To check your internet connection, you can use any of the online tools below:
By visiting this website, the internet speed test will automatically start, to give you a clue about how strong or otherwise the network is.
Quit and restart the app
Close the app, and then reopen it. Though this is a simple step, it can be all it takes to fix your problems. If you’re having any issues with the app and want to restart it, press and hold the home button until the multitasking screen appears.
Then, swipe up on the WhatsApp icon to quit it. After that, reopen WhatsApp from your home screen or app drawer and try making a call again.
Delete and reinstall WhatsApp
If none of these solutions works for you, delete WhatsApp from your phone or tablet. Then, reinstall it from the Google Play Store. When you do this, your profile is wiped clean and you can start fresh with a new account.
To delete WhatsApp from your device, go to Settings > Apps > WhatsApp and tap on Force Stop or Clear Data. Finally, press the Home button to leave this screen and go back to your home screen. Then, open the Play Store app on your device and search for “WhatsApp” in the search bar at the top of the page.
Then, reinstall it again from the App Store or Google Play. This will refresh your phone’s memory and clear up any problems that might have been causing you trouble.
Turn on notification access
- Go to Settings > App notifications and enable WhatsApp notifications.
- Set the app to show notifications on the lock screen by enabling Show on the lock screen or Hide sensitive content in preview under Notifications (make sure you have no other apps with an alert style set to “hide” before enabling this).
Close the app using the recent apps tab
- Close the app using the recent apps tab.
- Press and hold the app icon for a few seconds, then tap on the minus sign to close it.
- Tap on the home button to go back to your home screen.
Clear data and cache of the WhatsApp app
You can clear the data and cache of the app. To do this, follow these steps:
- Open Settings by tapping on your phone’s home screen.
- Choose App Management.
- Tap on WhatsApp in the list of apps to open its setting page. Tap on “Force Stop” and confirm the action by tapping on OK.
- Tap Clear Cache and then tap OK when prompted to confirm your action.
Disable battery optimization for WhatsApp
- Open your App Drawer and tap Settings > Battery.
- Tap the three dots on the top right corner of your screen and select “Battery optimization”.
- In this menu, you will see a list of apps with an On/Off toggle next to each one of them; WhatsApp is one of those apps (and possibly others). Tap on it to open up its settings options and uncheck “Optimize Battery Use”.
Enable Do Not Disturb mode for WhatsApp
If your WhatsApp calls are not showing up, you can try disabling Do Not Disturb mode as a quick fix. The Do not disturb mode is helpful for productivity. However, it can be frustrating when you want to see WhatsApp calls. To disable Do not disturb mode, go to Settings > Do Not Disturb and turn it off.
- Go to Settings > Do Not Disturb > toggle on
- Tap on the blue moon icon in the top right corner
- Tap Turn On Do Not Disturb
- Tap Select Scheduled Times
- Pick the times you want Do Not Disturb to be turned on
If there is an update available, do it
If you’re seeing WhatsApp calls not showing up, the first thing to do is check for any available updates. If there are bugs or security issues in your current version of WhatsApp, the app will prompt you to update it. Additionally, new features may be added that were unavailable before and which could help resolve your problem (or at least make your experience better). To check for an update:
- Open WhatsApp and tap on the three dots icon in the upper right corner of your screen.
- Tap on Settings > Account > Check for Updates. This will open a menu where you can select either “Install Update” or “Cancel” if nothing is necessary at this time. If there is an update available, do it!
Grant WhatsApp the Required Permissions
It’s possible that your WhatsApp calls aren’t showing up because you haven’t given WhatsApp the required app permissions.
You probably already know that the apps on our phones can work because they have the necessary permissions. When you installed the apps, you consented to these permissions.
You must have given WhatsApp permission to use your microphone and maybe your camera in order for WhatsApp calls to function (for WhatsApp video calls).
To check and grant WhatsApp the requisite permissions:
- Go to settings on your phone. Tap on “App Management.” Select App list.
- Tap on WhatsApp and then tap on Permissions.
You can view the features of your phone that WhatsApp presently has access to on the “permissions” tab. Watch out for features like the microphone, camera, and phone that can be useful for WhatsApp voice and video conversations.
Make sure that this is included under “Allowed.” Tap on the feature, then change it to “Allow” if any of them are listed under the “not allowed” column.
By doing this, you’ve given WhatsApp all the authorization it needs to make audio and video calls on your phone.
If you have tried all of these steps and still have no luck, then it may be time to try a factory reset of your phone. This will erase everything from your device and require you to start from scratch (including re-installing WhatsApp).
If this does not work then there could be an issue with your device or its software which would require contacting an expert for assistance.