Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms, but it’s not without its problems. One of the most common issues people face with Instagram is a problem with sending Instagram Direct Messages (DMs).
Whether you’re trying to send or receive messages, this can be frustrating and a real pain in the butt.
However, there are ways to fix this problem! In this article we’ll cover everything from why your DMs might not be working, what causes them to freeze up or not load properly in the first place, how to troubleshoot them yourself plus offer some tips for getting your messages flowing smoothly again if nothing else works for you personally:
Instagram Direct Message (DM) Issues You May Face
The Instagram direct message problems take many forms. If you’re experiencing one Instagram DM error or another, you’re far from alone. You may also have wondered “what is wrong with Instagram DMs?”
Many other users have also reported that they experience a particular Instagram direct message glitch. Your problem could be any of these:
- Instagram direct messages not working or sending
- Instagram direct messages not loading, refreshing or updating
- For some users, Instagram shows only newer messages and does not show old messages
- For other users, Instagram DMs disappear or get missing and hence are not seen.
- Some Instagram DM issues sometimes have to do with the media, where Instagram direct message photos are not showing, or videos disappeared and hence, the video is not playing or loading.
- In some instances, the Instagram direct messages do not show up and seem to be deleted.
- Other Instagram direct messages simply won’t send (they are stuck on sending) and for others, they won’t delete if you want to.
- Some Instagram DMs get stuck on loading screen and can keep crashing.
- Instagram direct messages not showing up on iPhones or not showing seen or last active.
- Another Instagram DM error is that the messages could be blacked out or blocked or only the reply not working.
The big question is “why are these happening?” Let’s dive in to explore the known causes of Instagram DM errors.
Reasons Why Your Instagram Direct Messages Not Sending, Loading, Updating or Showing Up
If you’re having trouble sending or loading Instagram Direct Messages, don’t worry. There are several different reasons why your messages won’t send or may seem delayed. To make sure your DM is working properly, check that none of these issues is happening to you:
- Instagram’s Servers are down. Instagram’s servers are the computers that run the app itself and allow you to send messages. When they’re down, all of your direct messages won’t load or send, because Instagram is not working properly.
- Your internet connection is weak or you have lost connection
- Your account is locked or restricted due to suspicious activity. As part of their security measures to ensure your safety, Instagram may temporarily block your account when they detect anything suspicious.
- “Battery saver” is on. Make sure that your battery saver is turned off. The Instagram app may not work properly or load if you have the battery saver turned on.
- You have sent far too many messages in a short time period. Sometimes, Instagram will temporarily ban you for sending too many messages in a short time period. You may be able to send one message and then not be able to send another until some time has passed. This is usually because Instagram has detected that you have been using automation tools or doing something else that violates its terms of service.
- Your Instagram app is outdated. If your Instagram app is not up-to-date, you may occasionally experience some glitches, which can cause the “Instagram direct message doesn’t show” error.
How to Fix Instagram Direct Messages Not Sending, Loading, Updating or Showing Up
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to fix Instagram DMs not sending, loading, showing up, updating or even getting deleted:
1. Check Your Internet Connection
If you’ve just updated your phone’s software and now Instagram Direct Messages aren’t sending, here are some steps you can take to fix it:
Check your Internet connection. It’s possible that an error occurred because of spotty Wi-Fi or a problem with the network. Make sure that you’re connected to a reliable Wi-Fi network, and if so, make sure you have good signal strength.
If there are any issues with your internet connection or router/modem settings, try resetting them.
To check your network strength, visit speedtest.net and perform a quick internet speed test.
2. Check if Instagram is Down
To check if Instagram is down, you can use Down Detector’s website. It’ll show an up-to-date list of the problems people are having with Instagram, and whether or not those issues have been resolved.
If you’re having problems with Instagram, Down Detector can also help you find out if it’s just you or if other people are experiencing the same issues.
If it is just you and no one else, then it might be a problem with your device rather than the app itself. You can also check on Twitter, Google, or Facebook if Instagram is down by searching for #instagramdown.
If you’re having trouble with Instagram, try the above steps to fix it! If none of those things works, then it’s likely that there’s an issue with your account itself rather than just a server error. In this case, contact Instagram support for further help.
3. Use Instagram Web Version
If you’re uncomfortable with the idea of sending messages from your phone, you can use the web version of Instagram to send and receive messages.
The web version of Instagram is more reliable than the app because it doesn’t crash as often.
- It’s more reliable than the app.
- It’s more secure than the app.
- It’s more stable than the app (no crashes).
4. Send an Instagram Direct Message with a Different Device
If you’ve tried all of the above and still your direct message posts are unavailable, try using Instagram Direct Messages on a different device. If it’s happening on your phone, try using Instagram Direct Messages on your tablet—or vice versa.
You can also try using a different browser (such as Chrome or Safari), but that might be overkill if you’re already using a different device.
5. Update Instagram to the Latest Version
Sometimes, updating the Instagram app to the latest version can be all it takes to resolve any issues with sending and receiving Instagram DMs. If you haven’t done so in a while, this is definitely something worth trying before you contact customer support or try any other troubleshooting steps.
To check if your Instagram app is outdated, open the Google Play Store or Apple App Store on your Android or iOS device, search for “Instagram and install any pending updates available.”
6. Clear the Instagram App Cache and Data
The first thing to try if you’re having Instagram Direct Messages issues is to clear the app’s cache and data. Here’s how:
- Go to your phone’s settings.
- Find the app settings for Instagram. You may need to scroll down the list of apps until you find “Instagram.” If it appears, then great! You’ve found it and can move on. Once found, open up this page by tapping on it once or twice depending on what type of phone you’re using; swipe left or right if necessary as well (if applicable).
- Clear data from the last time that message was sent out by swiping left under “Storage” and then tapping “Clear Data.” This will force Instagram back into a state where everything starts fresh again without any preferences set in place yet by previous messages being sent out over time (so no old cached information blocks new ones from being delivered).
7. Sign Out and Sign in Again to Your Instagram Account
- If you’re logged in to multiple accounts, try logging out of all of them. You can do this by clicking your profile icon on the top right corner and selecting “Log Out” from the dropdown menu that appears.
- If you have a different account logged in, try logging out of that one as well. This can be found by clicking your username or avatar at the top left corner of Instagram and selecting “Log Out” from the dropdown menu that appears (the same way you would log out if there were multiple accounts).
- Try signing in again with your login credentials.
- Once you’ve logged in, go back and try sending direct messages again!
8. Reinstall the Instagram App
If you are having trouble sending DMs on Instagram, try reinstalling the app. Though a simple process, reinstalling the Instagram app can resolve any issues when the DM is not working. This will clear any temporary issues with your account and allow you to send messages again.
To do this, go to Settings > General > Storage & iCloud Usage > Manage Storage. Then click on “Apps” in the list that appears and select Instagram from the list of apps installed on your device. Finally, tap “Delete App” to remove Instagram from your device.
Once it has been deleted, go back into Apple’s App Store and download a fresh copy of Instagram onto your phone or tablet!
- Go to Settings and find the apps section.
- Find Instagram in the list of apps and force stop it.
- Uninstall it using the uninstall button.
- Reinstall it from the Play Store, depending on which you use for your computer or phone, respectively.
After you’ve reinstalled the app, restart your phone or tablet and try sending a DM again!
9. Use a VPN Service
If you’re having problems sending, receiving, or updating your Instagram Direct Messages, there are a few things that might help. One of the most common issues is caused by a proxy server used by Instagram to ban people trying to circumvent their geo-restrictions.
To fix this problem, you’ll need a VPN service (Virtual Private Network). This will encrypt your data and hide your IP address so that it can’t be traced back to you. A VPN service will also allow you to bypass any geo-restrictions that Instagram may have in place for certain countries.
We recommend NordVPN because it’s one of the best VPNs for Instagram. They have proven to be reliable and very easy to use.
10. Deactivate and Reactivate Your Instagram Account
This is a good fix if you’re having issues with Instagram Direct Messages not sending, refreshing, or updating. Sometimes your account can get stuck in a bad state, and this is one of the best ways to fix it.
You’ll need to deactivate your account, wait for a few hours, and then reactivate it. This will reset all of the settings on Instagram so that everything works as intended once again.
11. Report the Direct Messaging Issue to Instagram Support
If you’ve tried all of the above troubleshooting steps and still can’t get Instagram Direct Messages to work, it’s time to report the issue to Instagram Help. Follow these steps:
- Open the Instagram app and go to your profile (use the profile icon at the right bottom corner) and tap on the three horizontal lines (三) in the top right corner.
- Tap on “Settings” from the list of items.
- Tap on Help and then proceed to Report a Problem. Select Report a problem if another similar pop-up appears.
- Here, briefly provide feedback regarding the Instagram direct message problem. Also, add relevant screenshots to clarify the issue. You can choose an already existing screenshot or tap on the “Take Screenshot” button.
- Tap Submit to send the feedback.
If you’re having trouble sending Instagram direct messages and want to know how to fix it, we have some tips here! Simply try restarting your device. If that doesn’t work, there are more solutions listed above.
If you’re still having problems, you can try uninstalling and reinstalling the app. You should also check to make sure your internet connection is working properly. Finally, if all else fails, contact Instagram Support.
We hope you’ve been able to resolve your Instagram DM errors following this article. You may also check out our articles on how to fix Instagram story views not showing or how to fix Instagram stories not uploading.